A card for security management in the activities that take place in the workshops in the construction sector. General requirements of the environment, prevention and instructions for employees. Risks relating to shock, cuts and noise. Welding and painting.
In reference to the database of bibliographic records contained in "Risk assessment in building construction" - a manual, a collaboration between the Territorial Joint Committee for the Prevention of Accidents, Personal Care and Work Environment in Turin and Province (CPT turin) and the 'INAIL Piedmont-present a tab in a particular work environment: the workshop.
Construction companies can refer to these cards for the management of safety in the workplace, and adapting to different environments and situations specific to the establishment, for the drafting of the DVR and security plans.
We have already presented a card on safety in warehouses: the tab for the workshops has a similar structure and a similar wealth of information.
In this article we make a synthesis, focusing on some aspect and invite you to view the original document.
The card contains information on the general requirements of a workshop with specific reference to:
- Electrical installation;
- Heating system;
- Working environment (doors and gates, windows, pedestrian circulation, storage materials, storage tanks, environmental factors, office workshop, workshop services);
- Fire prevention;
- First aid;
- Equipment (hoists, forklifts, power tools, centralized air system).
After analyzing the activities normally covered in the workshops in the construction sector and indicated the main risks is offered an overview of proper prevention measures (related to falls from height, strokes, compressions, punctures, cuts, abrasion, vibration, slipping, falling level, heat, electrical hazards, non-ionizing radiation, noise, shearing, material falling from above, investment, manual handling of loads, powders, fibers, projects, sketches, gases and vapors).
For example, in relation to the risks of shock, impact, impact and compression, please note that the "violent activities that require physical exertion and / or sudden need to be eliminated or reduced through the use of appropriate equipment for the job."
In particular, "the tools, the tools and equipment for use in the hand must be kept in a good state of conservation and efficiency, and when not in use must be kept in conditions of stable equilibrium (eg stored in containers or secured to the body of ' employee) and must not obstruct passage or places of work. "
Any "deposits of materials in piles, piles and piles must be organized so as to avoid collapse or subsidence and allow a safe and easy movement and must not impede normal traffic." Not to mention that furniture and equipment to the premises for jobs, they must "be arranged so as to ensure the normal movement of persons."
To avoid bites, cuts and abrasions must "be taken to avoid contact of the operator's body elements with sharp or stinging or otherwise capable of causing injury."
All moving parts of the equipment of the workshop "must be protected against accidental contact." And where it is not possible to completely eliminate the danger, "as in cleaning, maintenance and repair should be used PPE appropriate to the task (safety shoes, gloves, aprons, guards, shields, goggles, etc.).".
For the prevention of fatigue of the eyes due to non-ionizing radiation, indicating that "the use of both electric and oxyacetylene welding can result in eye diseases, if only for fatigue: so you must call alerts with the provisions of use of This pressure equipment. Workers must be adequately informed, with suitable PPE (goggles, masks) and, where appropriate, be subject to health surveillance. "
When buying new equipment then you have to "pay particular attention to the noise of use." Furthermore, to limit excessive noise, equipment "must be properly maintained and used, in accordance with the directions of the manufacturer. During operation, the screens and bulkheads of equipment shall be kept closed and must be avoided unnecessary noises. "
Generally "noisier activities are those of repair, which involve works blacksmith. When the noise of a process or equipment can not be eliminated or reduced, you must ensure that staff are properly informed, including by installing an appropriate warning signs and, where appropriate, the provisional definition of the area concerned. The personnel should make use of PPE, made available to them and, if appropriate be under medical surveillance. "
The card contains a collection of instructions for employees to different tasks (welding, filing cylinders, fuel and oils; stacking materials, de-rusting and painting small areas, use of stationary machines, lifting equipment, trolleys and electric tools , manual handling of loads, cleaning activities and collection, storage, waste disposal).
For example, for welding operations are given the following instructions:
- "The cylinders used for welding or cutting oxyacetylene must be secured against movement by means of a cart portabombole or a fixed anchoring device;
- The welding machine must meet the requirements of portable equipment ";
- "Must be installed a suitable system fume extraction;
- For those involved in electric welding has to be assessed should be submitted to health surveillance;
- The staff entitled to these processes must also be formed by means of signs, as regards the rules for the safe use of the equipment and the use of PPE required. "
Regarding instead the deoxidation and painting small areas:
- "Use the PPE required and follow the instructions on their use;
- Carefully follow the safety measures to be taken for these processes;
- Do the painting of deoxidation and possibly outdoor areas specifically identified and equipped;
- When this is not possible, use a suitable vacuum system mobile. "
For use dimacchine fixed:
- The jobs at stationary machines must allow the operator easy movement;
- The machines must comply with the safety requirements set by current regulations and be properly maintained;
- Workers must have received a complete training on the use of the same;
- The indications to be observed for the use and maintenance, exposed in the vicinity of the machines, must be strictly followed;
- Operators must make use of the required PPE and be properly trained on the use of the same. "
Finally remember that the card also provides information on:
- Emergency procedures;
- Personal protective equipment;
- Health surveillance;
- Information and training;
CPT and the Province of Turin, Piedmont INAIL:
- The Cataloguing data related to the workshop: AF.03.01 (DOC, 97 kB)
- Risk assessment in building construction, full manual (ZIP format, 19.5 MB);
- Changes 2009 edition (PDF, 496 kB): contains some updates, compared to the previous edition of the manual, check to see if affix corrections to the document risk assessment.
Translated via software
Italian version of ReteIngegneri.it