What are the wood used for the flooring? Overview of characteristics, types, advantages and disadvantages, essences used and the faux wood

It is said that wood floors are suitable for people who appreciate the warmth, beauty, charm veins, tradition. Who is too rational and a perfectionist never chooses this type of floor for fear that you could easily scratch or stain and will be directed to other materials. But no one will ever question his naturalness and vitality that make it a material of great beauty in the context of a habitable environment and that, over the years, has become increasingly important becoming instrumental in making the most comfortable and stylish any interior.

Choosing a flooring must be done in a rational fashion, the environment in mind and then paying attention to the type of wood, its origin and chemical treatments that may have suffered.


First, the spread worldwide of this material makes it easily accessible and being a renewable natural resource, is always available. In any case, even if deforestation is down slightly, it is important to always buy the product from controlled cultivation and certified.


To knead, the energy used is lower than for the other materials (one cubic meter requires from 8 to 30 kWh, eight times less cement, twenty-five times less than steel and forty times less aluminum). 75% of the trunk is used as a timber for the furniture industry and the remaining 25% as heating fuel or pellets, to generate new energy from biomass or as sawdust. So minimal waste. With regard to the chemical treatments, the European regulations have imposed ever lower levels for volatile organic compounds (VOC), hazardous to health, but unfortunately still present in many primers on the market for wood. Alternatively, there are non-toxic paints and primers such as those water-based natural oils and resins scented and without harmful effects.

The advantages of the wooden floor

Another clear advantage of the wooden floor, as well as being absorbing and improve thermal efficiency, is to regulate the humidity of the air, avoiding the accumulation of electrostatic charges.



The species most commonly used in our country are oak, pine, fir, larch, beech and more exotic bamboo, easily available with the symbols FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) or PEFC (Pan-European Forest Certification Council), which identifies the environmental certification materials from sustainably managed forests and responsible. Things to avoid species such as olive, oak and holm oak because it does not always sure of origin or certificates, and, in an absolute way, mahogany, teak, iroko, wenge, maple, pink, Padouk, very hard to find as endangered or often from illegal deforestation. Also, coming from the tropics, can be impregnated with pesticides to kill insects and fungi and prevent the wood ammuffisca during transport.



Finally, in the category of flooring, blend in those mentioned in "fake wood", ie laminates. These may contain residual formaldehyde used in the treatment of wood chips, glue, or for superior finish. Need therefore to recall that this substance free very slowly at room temperature, vapors irritating to mucous membranes and skin, although many manufacturers claim to have reduced or excluded the use of formaldehyde.




Translated via software



Italian version of ReteIngegneri.it

Seguici su Facebook